When Blizzard Entertainment announced that it would be shutting down its massively popular online service WoW.com in September, it had been working on new MMOs for years, but the service had been hit hard by the fallout from the company’s recent layoffs.
Now the company says it has decided to go back to the drawing board and look for new opportunities, even if it means going back to its own old games.
Blizzard Entertainment CEO Mike Morhaime said on the company blog that the company had made some decisions, and he would “have to say some things will change in the future.”
The company has now revealed that it is working on a brand new MMO called WarCraft 3 Battlenet, which will be released on April 28.
The blog post said that the game will be “much larger” than the original WoW, but not quite as massive as Blizzard Entertainment’s original MMO.
The new MMO will have about 20 million players at launch, but Morhaimes told GamesBeat it is still “an early stage of development,” and it is “probably not going to be finished for another year or two.”
He said the company is “working hard on this thing.”
The new game will “be an MMO with a huge focus on the story,” and players will be able to explore the world and experience quests and battles, Morhaames said.
It will also have a new set of skills for players to use in battle.
The company did not announce a release date for the new MMO, but it will launch “very soon.”
Morhaimes also said that Blizzard Entertainment will be offering “a variety of perks and other ways to spend your money” in the game, but he did not elaborate on what those perks would be.
Blizzard Entertainment did not respond to a request for comment.